The Widget Importer & Exporter plugin for WordPress makes it easy to import and export your widgets. There are multiple reasons you might want to do this. Here are a few.
- • Your theme came with sample widgets to import.
- • You want to make a backup of your widgets.
- • You want to move widgets from one website to another.
Widget Importer & Exporter is a powerful plugin with a simple set of features.
- • Export Widgets - Click "Export" to download a .wie file containing all of your widgets and their settings.
- • Import Widgets - Upload a .wie file to import widgets from an earlier export on the same website or a different one — or from your theme provider (sample widgets).
- • Smart Handling - Widgets already existing and those not supported by the site are not imported. Widget not having a widget area supported by the current theme go into "Inactive Widgets".
- • Results Summary - The results of your import are neatly shown in a table so you can be sure that your widgets were imported and be alerted of any issues with the import process.
Widget Importer & Exporter is available in the official WordPress plugin directory. It's easy to install with just a few clicks in your WordPress admin area.
- 1. Go to Plugins > Add New then search for Widget Importer & Exporter.
- 2. Click Install Now then Activate.
- 3. Go to Tools > Widget Importer & Exporter to export or import widgets.
For additional details on how the plugin works or to get support, visit its page on WordPress.org.
The Widget Importer & Exporter plugin was originally created by Steven Gliebe for churchthemes.com to help theme users import sample content. Now many other theme makers are using it for this purpose. Others use it to move widgets between WordPress sites and to back up their widgets. It has become one of the most popular WordPress plugins, has multiple contributors, and is now under the care of WP Ultimate.